Thursday, June 18, 2009

Breaking the movie maker code

My movie started with a dim light far away in the distance that I could barely see as I came closer it got farther, if that makes any sense. Finally just as I was about to turn around and accept defeat it became clear. The tools I used were powerpoint, and moviemaker(obviously). I used powerpoint to edit photos and add my quotes. In powerpoint I used a transparent box over my text to give an extra effect on one of my pictures. In movie maker I added a title and credits page for a more finished look. I also added some page transitions to my clips. I used the narration buttons to record my narration. I then imported my music from and clicked and dragged where I wanted it to be (a background to my narration), the fade in and out buttons came in handy for both audio and pictures.

I had the most difficulty with the sound. I narrate through certain parts of my movie and the whole thing has music in the background followed with a song at the end during the credits. Trying to figure out how loud, and where, and at what times everything had to mesh was frustrating, however rewarding once it was complete.The goal of my movie is to show what people, organizations, music influence me and who I am or who I want to be.

My movie starts with a quote from plato and then shows two clips of me reading, here I tried to use the rule of three where my eyes are on the top line. I obviously took these pictures myself. I then transition to what I plan to do with my love of reading (teaching) and I actually say that "I want to see the world". I then show a peace corps symbol and narrate a quote from Madeline L’engle one of my favorite children and yound adult authors. I then have a quote from Kurt Vonnegut another one of my favorite authors. I then narrate that "although I want to see the world there are plenty of issues here". I then show a video clip and two pictures of the Las Brisas energy plant protest. In the video I use panning as I am trying to show the march from a 360 degree angle from the camera.

In my pictures of the protest I took medium shots, where you can still see the background behind the subject but the subject is the focus. I end with a picture of Bob Marley who is one of my all time favorite artist. His song "One love" seems to sum up my movie perfectly.

In my future classroom I can see using movie maker in a variety of ways. However frustrating it may be, I do believe with practice it will become a useful tool. For example I would use it at the beginning of a whole unit. My movie could introduce the unit with a story that relates to the lesson. I could show students from previous years doing the same lesson to show examples of what the finished product will look like. I could use movie maker as a class project where every student has a part they created. Maybe when it is finished it will be shared with a penpal.

1 comment:

  1. I like how your video includes both still images and some video shots. Also, the addition of jpegs and music makes your video vary in its multimedia elements. I thought it was neat. I had the same problem at the end where my video keeps playing with just a blank screen and music is on. I didn't know how to end my show where I wanted to. I like your ideas of how to use this movie making project in your classroom, I think it's an exciting way to use technology in any classroom. Kids would just love to try this out.

    ReplyDelete