Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Autumn's talents

So I was a little nervous at first starting this project. I thought how am I going to guide this student and show them what I have learned in a way they will understand. But it turned out to be pretty easy. As soon as I started asking questions she caught right on, it was awesome. I was trying to keep the whole thing very casual. I didn't want this to seem like homework, I also kept in consideration that it is summer and all of her siblings and friends were outside playing while she was inside working with me. But after a few minutes of talking I realized that she was loving the attention and she really seemed to enjoy being able to talk and express herself.

I started by asking some simple questions; What do you like to do? Do you enjoy music? Do you have a favorite game? She answered that she likes to surf and she likes to sing. I then explained to her the essential and unit question (She had to stop me a few times to explain what a couple of words mean). I really wanted her to come up with these questions herself, so I asked How do you feel when you sing and you surf? So is it the same happiness for both? Does your singing have any impact on the way you surf? With these questions she was able to come up with her essential and unit question. I really tried to use inquiry-based learning by asking open ended questions that allowed her to explore and think.

Autumn's blog

Parent permission: My students name is Autumn Sandel, the daughter of Scott Sandel who is also in this class he gave his permission and is also having another one of his daughter's work on this project with him.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to see that your student likes to learn and is catching onto the technology. I feel it's also great that you let her come up with the questions herself because we are supposed to be only guides in this project. Use of inquiry-based questions is also great because like you said it allows her to explore and think!! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete