Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Spreadsheets

One of my unit questions asks, "What can you do to better the environment?". I thought this could be a perfect activity to incorporate the use of spreadsheets and graphs. My sample spreadsheet shows how much water is used to produce plastic, textiles, food, and energy for one day and how much is used per person. My sample illustrates how much water my household uses daily, how much water I use individually, and how much the average American uses daily. I did this by calculating my "water footprint"Using this sample students will answer the following questions:
1. Why is water important?
2. In what ways do we use water?
3. If you can challenge yourself, how long will it take for you to reduce the amount of water you use?

I believe that these questions are inquiry-based because they are open ended, there is no specific right answer. Each questions asks the students to think and discuss with each other, and listen to others ideas.

After the students have researched and implemented ways to conserve water they will make a second graph showing the difference from the first graph.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your graph! I think your unit question is good also because it helps students start thinking about the environment, the good of the environment isn't stressed very much in schools today. I also liked your questions associated with the graph, everything ties in together well... :)

    ReplyDelete